Academic Rules & Regulations
Violation of the rules relating to discipline in the University includes the following categories of conduct by students:
- Disruption of teaching, class test/examination, research or administrative work, curricular and extra-curricular activities or residential life at the campus, including an attempt to prevent/impede any officer, teacher or staff of the University from performing his or her duties; and any act that causes such a disruption.
- Damaging or defacing University property or the property of any officer, teacher or staff of the University at the University campus or outside.
- Engaging in any act for wrongful confinement of teachers, officers, employees and students of the University or creating nuisance inside the premises of the University.
- Eve-teasing or disrespectful behavior with female teachers, staff and students of the University.
- Assault on or intimidation of a teacher, officer, employee and student or any other person inside or outside the premises of the University.
- Ragging is a grave violation of personal dignity of the victim.
- Use of abusive, intimidating or derogatory slogans or language or incitement of hatred and violence or any such act as an offense.
- Organization of or participation in Strikes, Picketing, Gheraos and Dharnas for whatsoever reason.
- Furnishing false certificate information to the University.
- Committing forgery, tampering with or misuse of the signatures of the University authorities, use of University letterheads, documents or records, identification cards, etc., without permission of the University.
- Using any Unfair Means or showing disorderly conduct during or in relation to any University examination.
- Causing, encouraging or colluding in unauthorized entry of a person in the Campus or having unauthorized occupation at the University premises, including hostels or residences.
- Possession or consumption of alcoholic drinks, narcotic drugs or psychotropic substances or other intoxicants in the University premises and smoking in the University premises.
- Indulgence in gambling at the University campus.
- Possessing or using weapons such as knives, lathis, iron chains, iron rods, sticks, explosives and firearms in the University premises.
- Arousing communal, caste or regional feelings or creating disharmony among fellow students.
- Tearing of pages, defacing, burning, destroying or stealing of books or other documents, reading materials or misusing, burning, destroying or stealing laboratory equipments or materials.
- Getting enrolled concurrently in more than one Programme of Study, excepting where approved.
- Failing to disclose the identity when asked to do so by an employee or officer of the University.
- Unauthorized acquisition or use of University furniture in hostel room or elsewhere.
- Unauthorized occupation of hostel room.
- Accommodating guests or other persons in hostels without permission of the hostel authorities.
- Improper rendering of adjustments against advances drawn from the University.
- Any act of moral turpitude.
- Any offense under law of the land.
- Improper behavior at the University premises or during study tours or excursions.
- Pasting of objectionable posters or distributing pamphlets, handbills, etc. or writing or painting graffiti on walls and disfiguring the University buildings.
- Use of cell phones in the classrooms/examinations, and other academic activities.
- Failure to wear uniform/decent attire.
- Use of undue political and other influences on teachers and functionaries of the University for favors.
- Any other act detrimental to peaceful and orderly functioning of the University.
Punishment for the misconduct shall include the following:
- Expulsion from the University.
- Compensation for the damage(s) caused.
- Suspension from the University for a specified period.
- Suspension from appearing in a specified paper / examination.
- Police action.
- Withdrawal of hostel facility.
|VIOLATIONS||THE FIRST OFFENSE||MULTIPLE OFFENSES|
|Nos. 1 to 6, 8 to 10 and 25||Expulsion from the University, Police Action, if required.||Expulsion|
|Nos. 7;1;13 and 15||Rustication for a specified period.|
|Nos. 12 ,14, 16, 17 and 27||Suspension from the University for a specified period & recovery of damages (double of the replacement value).|
|No. 18||De-enrollment and re-admission, on the production of the evidence of withdrawal from the other programmes of Study.|
|Nos. 19 and 20||Fine of Rs. 300/-||Fine of Rs.500/-|
|Nos. 21 and 22||Expulsion from the hostel.||Expulsion from the University|
|No. 23||Fine of the double the amount, or Rs. 1000/- whichever is higher, coupled with withdrawal from project, if any.||Police action.|
|No. 24||Depending on the nature of offense.||Depending on the nature of offense, punishment(s) as prescribed above.|
|Nos. 26 and 28||Depending on the gravity of the act, ranging from a Fine of Rs. 200/- to suspension from the class or both.||Suspension from the class for a longer period. Suspension from taking exam. of a paper, or from the entire examination.|
|No.29||Suspension for a day from the class||Suspension from the class/academic activity for 15 days. Rs. 500/- for every offense.|
|No.30||Fine of Rs. 100/- for the first offense. Subsequent offense would invite drastic action. Also depending on its gravity the fine may vary from Rs. 1000/- to expulsion.|
|No.31||Depending on the gravity of the offense, punishment may vary from a fine of Rs. 100/- to public apology, suspension and expulsion.||Depending on the gravity of the offense. punishment may vary from a fine of Rs. 1000/- to public apology, suspension and Expulsion|