B.TECH. (BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING)
Biomedical Engineering bridges the gap between biomedical science and engineering. It involves the application of engineering principles to create solutions for healthcare and generally concerns with the development and design of medical products. Biomedical engineers collaborate with doctors and researchers to develop medical systems, equipment or devices that can solve clinical problems. Biomedical engineers not just create equipment and devices, but computer systems and software used in healthcare as well.
Biomedical Engineering (BME) improves human health by applying engineering principles and methods to medical problems. Biomedical engineers might find themselves developing:
- Sensor that identify cancer.
- A device that mimics the blood brain barrier for use in drug testing.
- Neural probes to treat Parkinson’s with deep Brain simulation.
- Computer models that suggest how complex proteins are assembled.
- Design of the instruments of medical imaging.
- Waveform to image the body with MRI.
- Ultrasound therapies to treat tumors non- invasively.
- Design of life supporting instruments devices for ICU.
- Design the prosthetics arms and legs.
- Design the artificial organs.
Several opportunities exist for students pursuing a course in biomedical sciences in India. It is a huge, happening subject with immense opportunities for management, laboratory work, education, research, and consultancy. Once you become competent in the subject, you can work in the private sector or the numerous national healthcare laboratories. Those who do not find themselves appropriate for standard hospital careers may choose for health protection agencies, or work in forensic science departments.
- Government Agencies and R&D
- Medical Equipment & Diagnostics Industries
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing & Processing Industries
- Public Health organization
- Medical Research Laboratories
- Biomedical Engineers for maintenance of medical equipments in Hospitals
- Product Development Engineer, Design Engineer and System Test engineer in biomedical equipment manufacturing company
- Medical equipment consultancy
- Research Scientist and R&D engineer in various research organizations such as Tata Foundation and IITs etc.
- Sales and Marketing of Medical Instrument
Areas of Specialization
The Students of biomedical engineering can opt for specialization in the areas, such as medical imaging, radiology, medical instrumentation, Rehabilitation Engineering, Prosthetic design and clinical processing
Duration: 4 Years
Eligibility: 50% in 10 + 2 Science Stream (PCM/PCB)
50% in 10 + 2 Science Stream (PCM/PCB)
Selection Procedure: Entrance Test and Interview
Entrance Test and Interview
I SemesterEnglishEngineering Maths-IEngineering Physics-IEngineering Chemistry-IIntroduction to ITFundamentals of electrical Science
Practicals & SessionalsLanguage LabEngineering Physics LabEngineering ChemistryPC software LabPractical GeometryEngineering Workshop
II SemesterEnglishEngineering Maths-IIEngineering Physics-IIEngineering Chemistry-IIProgramming and Problem Solving using 'C' LanguageFundamental of electronicMechanical Engineering
Practicals & SessionalsCommunication TechEngineering Physics Lab-IIEngineering Chemistry-IIProgramming LabMachine DrawingBasic Electronics Lab
III SemesterMathematics-IIAnatomy & PhysiologyBiochemistry and HistologyElectronics Measurement & InstrumentsElectronics Devices and circuitEnvironmental Engineering
Practicals & SessionalsAnatomy and Physiology LabBiochemistry & Histology LabElectronic Measurement LabElectronics Lab
IV SemesterBiophysicsBiomedical Instrumentation-ITransducers InstrumentationDigital ElectronicsCommunication SystemMathematics-IV
Practicals & SessionalsBiomedical Instrumentation Lab-ITransducer LabDigital Electronics LabCommunication Engineering Lab
V SemesterBiomaterials and componentsBiomedical Instrumentation-IIBiomedical- Signal ProcessingLinear Integrated CircuitMicroprocessorBiostatistics
Practicals & SessionalsBiomedical Instrumentation Lab-IIAnalog Electronics LabMicroprocessor LabElectronic Workshop and PCB Lab
VI SemesterBioinformaticsClinical Science & Engg.Cardiovascular InstrumentationVLSI DesignMicrocontroller & Embedded SystemNeural Network & fuzzy logic
Practicals & SessionalsLab SubjectClinical Science LabMicroprocessor and Microcontroller LabIntroduction to Good Laboratory PracticeHumanities and Social Sciences Lab
VII SemesterRadiology and Medical ImageBiosensors and MEMSBiomechanicsVHDLFiber Optics InstrumentationRehabilitation EngineeringIndustrial Internship ProgramMajor Project
Practicals & SessionalsMedical Imaging LabMATLAB programming for BioengineeringAnalysisIndustrial Practical Training & Seminar Lab